My sister makes the BEST Mexican tortilla soup. She’s famous for making it after football games and the heat from the spices always warmed you up from the inside out. Problem is, the ingredients she included in her recipe weren’t available in my local grocery store.
I really had it in my head that I wanted to make that soup. So, I headed to Wegman’s to seek out new ingredients to use. Instead of Campbell’s Fiesta Cheese soup, I found LaPreferida’s nacho sauce. It was really thick, but all the reviews I read said that it was very “flavorful,” and they were right.
The best part of this soup is that you just put everything in a crock pot and cook on high for 3-4 hours. I served it with fresh avocado, sour cream and g.f. corn chips. I’ll be honest with you, it had great heat, but the avocado and sour cream gave it a nice creamy end.
We had our with a nice glass of wine, but a gluten-free Redbridge beer would’ve been excellent with it!
Minnie’s Tortilla Soup
- 2 split breasts with bone in and skin on (remove chicken from bone and shred when cooked)
- 1/2 box of Image Harvest Corn Soup
- 1/2 can La Preferida Nacho sauce
- 2 cans Ro-tel Original tomatoes
- 1 can Black Beans (drained)
- 1 can Corn (drained)
- 1 box G.F. Chicken Broth (Homemade is best)
- Fresh Chopped Cilantro, Red Peppers and Sour Cream for Garnish